Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Stupid Right-Click!

I am SO bummed! I mean really bummed! I short while ago I did a photo shoot for a high school drama musical. I spent well over 12 hrs on that shoot from start to finish. I didn't charge the school or club a dime and provided them with a high quality service. The only way I would make anything off of my time was from the prints (which I discounted my prices drastically! AND gave each of them a FREE 5x7) I did receive two orders that I am very grateful for, but things remained really quiet with sales. I got to thinking, "did I right-click protect my gallery?" Sure enough, I checked my settings and I forgot to click that little box! AAAGH! So, still hoping my worst nightmare had not come true, I did a few quick Google searches and VOILA! There were my photos displayed on other's pages without my permission. I think that is called stealing. I was so disappointed, let down, broken hearted, you name it. I did the math and I made $1.42/hr on that shoot. Don't get me wrong, it is NOT about the money. I won't lie, I still had a great time working on that project and can chalk it up to experience. Stupid me and stupid right-click!

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh, that is so frustrating! I am so sorry to hear it. I don't know if people like to pretend they are ignorant to the fact that there is a copyright law, or they really are... but either way it still stinks! I say you should watermark your pics like crazy before posting them... and make sure there is no right click :)
I guess at least you got some good practice ?

Jennison said...

If it's on the internet it's free game right??? What! It's not?! You mean you buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment, countless hours learning, another part of your life WORKING for a living by developing, printing, uploading, editing and you want me to PAY for it??! Ridiculous ;) So sorry Daina, watermark... watermark.. watermark... and yeah, you won't forget the R-click again. Major bummer.... :( By the way, the photos rocked!!!

Danielle Weathers said...

Thiefs I tell ya!

Carson Calderwood said...

I think you can set it to default for right click inhibition. That way you don't have to remember.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, Daina, I'm so sorry. I feel terrible.

Melissa

Daina Crowell said...

Melissa, PLEASE don't feel bad! I am serious. There was nothing you could do, nor are you in anyway responsible. Like I said, I had a GREAT time working on that project and would do it again in a heart beat.